Monday 30 March 2015

Why is it different with books?


As I’ve started my little spring cleaning and organising, I’ve stumbled upon a dilemma. What to do with the books? Surely, there are some that I no longer want on my shelves, whether it’s because they were a one-time read or because I’ve outgrown them. Why do I feel it’s necessary not to throw away them, in opposite to, let’s say, magazines? Although sometimes jettisoning them can prove to be a bit challenging too.

Maybe it’s about being sentimental. You know, when a particular title causes you to feel nostalgic and remind you of certain time. Although, personally, I feel that more with music than with books.

Other option: it’s like you are throwing away knowledge and it makes you feel like a thug. Come on, what does every kind of regime do first or every revolution? Imagine piles of books being lit up with gasoline. And then you see that they are burning paintings as well. So, basically, maybe subconsciously we want to preserve our culture? But there is culture and culture. 

Some of the books are not really masterpieces. They might have been entertaining at some point, but you may not feel like going back to read them ever. Then maybe somebody else can enjoy it? We can always donate the books if they are in somewhat good condition. Some may be given to friends.


No comments:

Post a Comment